You can find it only in specific regions of Italy and there are some basic secret ingredients. Here you go with the rice pie recipe by locals!
Since cooking is one of the best home based activities, but it’s also useful to create your travel bucketlist, We decided to write about some of out local dishes and rice pie is certainly one of our top 5 recipes, together with pesto and farinata.
It’s a pretty simple pie and you have to know that it exists sweet or salty.
Rice Pie Recipe: Ingredients
- 250 g flour
- 2 spoons oil
- 1 piches salt
- 100 ml water
- 200 g rice
- 2 eggs
- 100g parmesan
- 500 ml milk
- sale (around 3 piches)
Rice Pie Recipe: Procedure
Crust: put the flour, the oil and salt in a bowl and gradually add water to make an homogeneous mixture. Leave it rest for at least an hour covered with a dishcloth.
Filling: heat the milk in a pot until boiling, then add the rice. When it will be almost ready (it’s better a bit “al dente”) turn it off and wait until it is warm. Then put it in a bowl and add the other ingredients: parmesan, 2 eggs, marjoram, nutmeg and salt. Mix it until it is homogeneous.
Roll out the dough in a baking tray of medium size and then add the filling. Close the extremities of the dough twisting them inward. Then bake it in the oven at 180° for around 20 minutes.
Tips by Locals:
- If you want you can add some ricotta to the filling or maybe zucchini!
- If you add some zucchini you will have to add them to the filling once they have been stir-fried or boiled.
- Marjoram is the touch of class! If you don’t have it an alternative could be thyme.
- You can also add some black pepper.
- The rice pie should be eaten cold and it’s better the day after you bake it 😉
- It can last some days and you do not need to put it in the fridge.